is the daughter of Taagepera. Although it is much smaller the castle bears
the same aura. There are more similarities to be found than the ones noticeable
at the first sight. High gables, characteristic of the medieval town building
architecture, make both the houses expressive. There is no doubt that
at least by the choice of the architect, the relative owners follow the
same path. As well as Taagepera, the architecture of Holdre has first
of all the ancient strength of Finnish national Romanticism and the majesty
of the Scandinavian sagas. Bluish granite boulders in the socle wall,
slender chimneys crowning the rooftops, and still, Holdre seems younger.
Differently from Taagepera, which is gloomy and grave, Holdre reflects
more delight and Jugendstil as greater amount of sincere faith and excitement
of childhood can be found here.
Holdre manor, situated in the borderline of southern Estonia, was the
smallest of Helme parish for a long period of time. The grand construction
work began only in 1909 when Woldemar Dimitri von Ditmar bought the place.
He probably made the bargain on recommendation of Hugo von Styk, the owner
of Taagepera manor. Otto Wildau, an architect who was working in Riga
and had designed von Styk’s building in Taagepera (between 1907-1912),
seems to have projected the building of Holdre manor as well. Both Taagepera
and Holdre manors became prominent examples of the national romanticist
trend called art nouveau, being influenced by the Finnish architecture
of that period. During the Soviet period Holdre manor was used as a pioneer
camp. During the past years the building has been empty.
Holdre Castle is for sale!